I must confess I have never been much of a gardener. I just don’t have a green thumb and many of my efforts over the years have failed dismally or not ended up looking the way I thought they would. When we first moved to Queensland the garden was a mess so we pulled pretty much everything out and started again planting easy to grow and maintain things like Lilly Pilly’s and Murraya’s. At least I knew those plants would grow for me!
Now that we live in a townhouse we have no real garden to worry about, apart from a small courtyard at the front. No thought was given to what plants were put into this garden when the property was built and as a consequence we have two of the ugliest palm-like trees in the front yard that are way to big for the area.
The fronds have a very sharp serrated edge on them and as the top grows the bottom’s die off and look dried out and horrible. Around the edges are some lovely Lilly-Pilly’s but again they are to big for the area they are in. There are also some Liriope’s and something that I think is similar to a gardenia. They certainly smells divine when they flower.
None of this I can change as we are currently renting, but I still have the responsibility of maintaining it. I also don’t want to spend any money on it. So today, I got out into the sunshine and fresh air and started to give it a good tidy up.
The courtyard area also has a concrete patio section where we have a small table and chairs. These were covered in dust and cobwebs. This area also houses the two air conditioning units for our house. I would love to be able to screen these off as they are ugly to look at. I also have a few pot plants in this area that I haven’t killed yet!
This was what I did to make the area look more presentable:-
- Washed down the tables and chairs, getting rid of the built up dust and cobwebs.
- Shifted a couple of pot plants around, pruning off dead leaves and stalks and giving them all a good water.
- Washed down the front windows and gauze screens as they were very dusty.
- Swept cobwebs away from above windows.
- Hosed and swept paths and concrete areas (we have tank water)
- Raked up dead weeds that we had sprayed a couple of weeks ago and sprayed new weed appearances.
- Pruned back a couple of the smaller trees so they don’t grow to big.
- Cut back and dragged out of two of our trees a horrible creeping vine that had made its way over from next doors yard. It has totally engulfed all of the trees in their front yard and I don’t want it to do the same in ours.
By the time I had done all this I had run out of room in our rubbish bin and as we don’t have a green waste bin the rest will have to wait until next week.
But at least I have made a start and I had a lovely, clean and relaxing spot to sit this afternoon with my book and a cup of coffee. The rest of the garden will just have to be a work in progress.